Get free quotes from mutiple moving companies. Compare and Save:



You've arrived at your new home; you're unloading the truck and unpacking the boxes.  How did those nicks and scratches happen to the end tables?  How did the mirror get cracked?  And who is going to pay to repair or replace them?

No matter how hard you prepare for moving day, how well things are padded, wrapped, packed and taped, accidents happen.  Things get bumped, sometimes dropped, loads shift in transit.  It's one thing when accidents happen while you're moving yourself; it's another when you've hired a full-service mover and your goods arrive damaged.  So before you move, make sure you obtain moving insurance.

Most moving companies automatically provide "valuation" not moving insurance. Valuation is the predetermined limit of liability based on the weight of your household goods and established either by the Department of Transportation (DOT) or a State agency/organization.  It will be stated on the moving contract or bill of lading. 

Valuation covers loss or damage to your goods only if the carrier is liable.  A common option offered by most movers is $0.60 per pound per article – not the actual value of the damaged article.  If you think your household goods are worth more than 60 cents per pound, purchase moving insurance and a policy that includes actual replacement cost coverage.

You can ask your insurance agent about Goods In Transit insurance and you may be able to purchase "goods in transit" insurance directly from most moving companies.  But why not stick with the experts?  The moving insurance affiliates on ApartmentStores Moving and Relocation can outline a variety of plans to provide coverage for your personal belongings while in transit.  Check with them before your move.


We have made updates to our Privacy PolicyPrivacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.