When you have more to ship than the postal service or traditional carriers will handle, you need a reputable and convenient freight shipper to handle your items efficiently and affordably. Find one with ApartmentStores Moving and Relocation.
Standard delivery services or postal services work fine for small shipments and small packages. But if you need to transport a significant volume of packages or items that weigh more than 150 lb. or exceed 130 inches, they may be rejected by standard small package delivery services. So if you're a small business owner, selling large items on Ebay or trying to get a display to an exhibition hall, you need an affordable solution to get your goods to their destination on time and undamaged.
A variety of freight shipping options are available to the small business owner or residential shipper:
- Full trailer load (FTL) shippers typically manage freight from 5000 lbs and up when all of the freight is bound for the same destination. Some carriers have a minimum weight requirement of 10,000 lbs or more. There are 2 types of FTL shipments: full loads, which completely fill the entire truck and partial loads, which almost fill the truck.
- Less-than-load (LTL) shipping companies specialize in transporting items that take up "less than a truckload" of space. They routinely transport items weighing 600 to 1,000 pounds. Some ship packages up to 10,000 pounds. These freight shippers pick up packages from multiple customers, transport them to a local terminal or hub then consolidate items with traveling the same route onto the same truck. This methodology allows the carrier to get packages delivered in a timely fashion and remain profitable.
Be aware that not every LTL carrier will handle your belongings from start to finish. If the destination of your goods is outside the carrier's geographic region, they may "interline": transport your items to the edge of their service area and transfer them to another company to complete the journey.
- Multiweight and Hundredweight programs for large shipments are offered by some carriers. They typically offer a discount for multiple packages with a total weight of 200 pounds or more that are all going to the same address. It may be more cost-effective than sending a full pallet of items with an LTL carrier.
- Expedited services are available for when you need your goods to get there fast. Typically, the carrier will bypass their hub to decrease shipping time but your costs will increase substantially.
- Shipment tracking allows the carrier to locate your goods at any time. Radio networks keep trucks in constant communication with the carrier's headquarters.